Swim spa cross training
You know the team at Hydropool Wiltshire are really passionate about all of the reasons you should be seriously considering a swim spa. They really are the perfect way to get fit in your own home, fall in love with the fantastic benefits of swimming and, of course, sit back and relax at the end of a tough day. However, it doesn’t just stop there! You can do just about anything in your swim spa that you would do in a usual gym or exercise class, but with the added element of the water for your body to work against. Welcome to Hydropool Wiltshire swim spa cross training…
Water resistance: If you are new to exercise, have recently sustained an injury or just want to take it slow with your workouts, then you don’t even need the jets to be turned on. Just being in the water will create a new level of resistance which you simply don’t get from just being on the floor or in the gym. Try the following by just standing in your swim spa with your legs shoulder width apart, without the jets and current flowing:
- Squats – Lower your bottom down as far as possible by bending your knees then come back up to a standing position.
- High kicks – Kick your right leg up as high as possible keeping it straight. Lower it back down and repeat with your left.
- Knee lifts – Lift your right knee forward as high as you can, then lower it back down to standing. Repeat with your left.
- Cross body knee lifts – Lift your right knee up and bring your left elbow to touch it. Lower it back down and repeat with the opposite sides.
- Heel kicks – Bend your right knee to bring your heel behind you, aiming to kick your bottom. Lower it back down and repeat with your left.
- Tummy twists – Widen your legs so your upper body is lower into the water. Put your arms out straight in front of you and twist your upper body as far to the right as possible, then slowly around to the left. Feel the resistance in your arms and back.
- Fist pumps – Lower yourself into the water to your shoulders and simply alternate a hard punch in front of you with each arm, going faster and faster.
Against the current: If you feel you can do the above with ease and want to step up your routine, try all of the above with the jets turned on! This extra resistance creates an even more intense workout. You could even look at purchasing a noodle float or webbed gloves to improve your stamina, strength and muscle tone in the water.
And, if you’d like to make your workouts even more interesting, get that workout playlist going! Turn the exercises into an aerobic routine and watch those calories burn away!
Let us know your favourite routines for your swim spa and let’s share your ideas with the Hydropool community.